Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Employee Spotlight:  DJ Joyner

Raleigh has a new surfer in town and he goes by the name DJ.  DJ hails from Virginia Beach, where Whalebone coincidentally has another store.  DJ has grown up on surfing and worked in the industry for a while.  We are stoked to have him as the newest member of the team.  He has a quirky sense of humor and eclectic style that makes him an ideal fixture for the shop.  I had the pleasure of getting to know him today and you can read the interview below.



Name:  DJ Joyner

Hometown: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Longboard or shortboard:

DJ:  Longboard

What board(s) are you riding right now?

DJ:  Right now I am riding a 9'6 Chris Christensen Westsider and a 5'4 Bing Dharma.

What is you're favorite local surf spot?

DJ:  Probably anywhere in the Buxton or Frisco area.

What made you want to work at Whalebone?

DJ:  I bought my first surfboard from Jim in the Nags Head shop when I was nine years old.  It just made sense.

What is the number one item on you're Whalebone wish list?

DJ:  Definitely the 9'6 Jacobs 422 Noserider.

When did you first start surfing?

DJ:  I first started surfing when I was five years old.  My dad took me out at milepost 12 in Kitty Hawk.

Where would you go on you're dream surf trip?

DJ:  I would take the "Wet Boys" surf team and go down to Noosa, Australia.

Favorite Surf Brand?

DJ: Insight

Favorite Longboarder Surfer?

DJ:  Well I have a couple.  Alex Knost, Joel Tudor and Scotty Stopnik.

Favorite Surf Video?

DJ:  Lost Across America and growing up I loved anything with Corey Lopez.  A current video I like a lot is Rip, Shred, Tear.

Kelly Slater or Andy Irons?

DJ:  Patrick Swayze

Paper or Plastic?

DJ:  Paper.

Tupac or Biggie?

DJ:  Biggie.

Beef or Chicken?

DJ:  Beef.

Favorite Movie?

DJ:  Princess Bride.


Stop by the shop and meet the newest member of the fam!

No comments:

Post a Comment